interesting 13m video of a police assessment ride

General discussion of any issues that vaguely or not so vaguely relate to stuff about things that concern riding.

Moderator: BAM Moderators

interesting 13m video of a police assessment ride

Postby tfdodo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:50 pm

Interesting vid of a police ride.. There's a couple of lively debates on pros and cons of this, including one on the IAM forum (registration required) , and a very public one here.

Overall I'd say it's nice, but bear in mind these guys have had several £000's worth more instruction than we have, so I'd discourage off-siding quite so liberally unless you are both comfortable and experienced with it. I believe that Avon & Somerset discourage it for their riders, and with my Observer head on I must point out that IAM central forbids it [they can be a little bit risk-averse :) ] .

Proximity to oncoming traffic may be exaggerated by camera view, although in my experience, Police Riders make poor wallflowers & v.v. so that's to be expected. Those of you with experience of observing boxer twins will note the amount of engine braking available... and, in general, doesn't it look smo-o-o-o-o-o-o-th ? :P
Rubber side down,
Nick A (SO-Team B)

"In a perfect world the future wouldn't make a dent..."

Balance Safety and Joy
tfdodo

Return to Advanced Riding Issues