attitudes, transactional analysis...

General discussion of any issues that vaguely or not so vaguely relate to stuff about things that concern riding.

Moderator: BAM Moderators

attitudes, transactional analysis...

Postby tfdodo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:05 pm

let's be adult out there ? [not parent, not child...]

Interesting bit from the Megarider newsletter down under... casts some light on the "they're out to kill motorcyclists" mindset maybe..

megarider wrote:THE PRIMARY ATTRIBUTION ERROR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of the buzz phrases doing the rounds at the moment is The Primary Attribution Error.

It is interesting to view this in line with the use of Transactional Analysis while riding.

The Primary Attribution Error simply means:
When someone else does something ‘wrong’, we tend to attribute that wrong action to a character flaw. We use mental expressions such as “They’re a jerk”; “They don’t care”;”They are out to cause trouble”; “They are trying to piss me off”; etc.
Specifically in traffic we tend to think – “They are out to get motorcycle riders”; “They are a terrible driver”: “They are a menace”; etc.

But the other side of the Primary Attribution Error is that when WE do something ‘wrong’, we tend to attribute that wrong action to simply making an error or a minor bit of bad judgement.
So we think – “I’m a good person, I just had a lapse in judgment”; “I really do care about people and I didn’t mean to be difficult”; etc.
And when we specifically do something wrong in traffic we think – “I always leave a good following distance, I just lost focus there for a minute”; “I always look twice, I just forgot that one time”; etc.

So, next time someone’s driving is not to your liking, remember The Primary Attribution Error and note how you mentally react.

Megarider is at:
Would any of your friends like to get the Megarider e-newsletter?
Just get them to email us at nzmscon@paradise.net.nz with a request to go on the mailing list and telling us their name and country they ride in and we'll be pleased to oblige.
Keep the rubber side down.

Allan Kirk
New Zealand Motorcycle Safety Consultants http://www.megarider.com
Rubber side down,
Nick A (SO-Team B)

"In a perfect world the future wouldn't make a dent..."

Balance Safety and Joy
tfdodo

Return to Advanced Riding Issues