wearing IAM Hi-vi for general riding

General discussion of any issues that vaguely or not so vaguely relate to stuff about things that concern riding.

Moderator: BAM Moderators

wearing IAM Hi-vi for general riding

Postby tfdodo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:16 am

Do, and should, riders only wear IAM hi-vi when riding in a way that reflects well on the IAM ?

my approach fwiw is that whilst I always work hard at riding safely, there are frequently times when in my personal life I may interpret the NSL in a way that the IAM quite understandably cannot condone (as their recent news item makes very clear, if you frequent the National website).

As such I will only wear a BAM hi-vi when I am intending to "be good". I don't want to be responsible for fallout for BAM OR the IAM about "IAM bikers breaking the law", or "doing hi-speed overtakes" or whatever. That usually even extends to transit to/from Super Sunday. It may very well cover group rides. I also won't have large (read as "readable whilst mobile") IAM/BAM badges on the bike for just the same reasons.

If you always comply with all speed limits and ride to advanced standards this isn't an issue, and this really doesn't apply. I'm guessing that (and not asking whether!) that applies to a minority of members. To the rest - please think about using an unmarked hi-vi (if you want one at all) for those other times ?

There is rich irony in that half the IAM's detractors reckon we're staid & stodgy & the other half think we're too "progress-orientated", but why give ammunition to either camp ? fwiw - this is prompted by a recent report of an IAM group member , with very identifiable hi-vi, lane-splitting at 85-90 using all 3 lanes on a moderately busy motorway. not, imho, helpful
Rubber side down,
Nick A (SO-Team B)

"In a perfect world the future wouldn't make a dent..."

Balance Safety and Joy
tfdodo

Re: wearing IAM Hi-vi for general riding

Postby GsxrGareth » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:22 pm

I'm with you Nick. If you are wearing the IAM kit you are 'on duty' and should behave accordingly. If you want to play by your own rules, wear your own kit.
GsxrGareth

Postby Al » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:47 pm

To be honest, I don't like the IAM hi-vi. As with you Nick, I always aim to ride as safely as I am able. I do (when out on my own, not observing, and generally not when commuting due to the risks of getting complacent as I sail along the A46) sometimes consider the NSL as somewhat less binding than it is intended to be. However, that has (largely) nothing to do with my reasons for not liking the IAM hi-vi.

Car drivers are generally considerably lower in altitude than bike riders on the same road (unless they're in a Chelsea tractor or similar). They therefore have a considerably reduced view of the road ahead. Most car drivers also see very little beyond what is directly in front of them: they won't be looking around and taking advantage of views round or over intermediate objects (semi-open fences, vehicles etc). There are situations in my riding where I will use information gained through this sort of method to determine that something is safe to do despite the fact that the blinkered car driver following me might think it isn't. This is a situation in which advanced observation skills allow safe extra progress to be made. However, to the ill-educated and blinkered car driver it probably looks like 'bad' riding and could therefore reflect badly on the group: I don't get an opportunity to present my reasoning behind considering the manoeuvre to be safe so I'd rather just ensure that it isn't associated with the IAM.
Al

Postby ozzzie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:52 pm

Al wrote:However, to the ill-educated and blinkered car driver it probably looks like 'bad' riding and could therefore reflect badly on the group: I don't get an opportunity to present my reasoning behind considering the manoeuvre to be safe so I'd rather just ensure that it isn't associated with the IAM.

You are on a motorcycle therefore, you are a drugged-up baby-killer.
Oz.
Site Admin

Warning: Postings may contain traces of irony or sarcasm.
ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby GsxrGareth » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Or we could stick to the old mantra 'Ride for yourself' cos we won't change their opinions for the better unless they are open to it.
GsxrGareth

Postby Al » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:46 am

ozzzie wrote:
Al wrote:However, to the ill-educated and blinkered car driver it probably looks like 'bad' riding and could therefore reflect badly on the group: I don't get an opportunity to present my reasoning behind considering the manoeuvre to be safe so I'd rather just ensure that it isn't associated with the IAM.

That's car drivers for you: always making broad generalisations (ahem)...
Al

Postby ozzzie » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:19 am

Al wrote:
ozzzie wrote:

In this context, I find it helpful to assume that everyone is trying to kill me. Besides, I was looking at our list of members at the time.
Oz.
Site Admin

Warning: Postings may contain traces of irony or sarcasm.
ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby GsxrGareth » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:18 pm

See, now I always had you down as a loved-up baby-maker.......
GsxrGareth

Postby Horse » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Al wrote:
ozzzie wrote:

Put 'magistrates' or 'the jury' into that line . . . it may change the way you think actions through before putting them into practise! :-0 ;-) :oops: :lol:

Back to TFD's original post, leads me to the question: 'Why would you want to wear a 'named' hi-viz when out training?' [Wearing one off-duty is even more bizarre . . . ]

Surely you want the candidate to encounter as 'normal' traffic as possible? Joe Public will struggle to tell the difference between 'DAS' riders on large bikes and 'advanced' anyway (they may not even be aware of the concept of 'advanced'). Do you really want people reacting as if your candidate is a 'learner'? :?:

The only time I think they're beneficial is for advertising - and, as TFD points out - wearing hi-viz is likely to alienate half the potential 'audience' anyway . . .
I assert my author rights: Copyright Design Patent Act 1988 may be quoted in Chain Link posts, but contacted for written consent before any other use/storage/transmission/recording

Argue with me: http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com
Horse

Postby wunwinglow » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:00 am

Other road users will build an attitude to motorcyclists (and indeed all other road users!) based on a variety of things, some, like "riding like an idiot" will tend to depress their opinion, others, like wearing dayglo will , probably, raise it a bit. They do sometimes seem to actually take notice, almost as if they are indeed observing what is going on around them! Staggering concept, I realise! But I have noticed other road users backing off when they see an observer/associate pair, especially when the riding is at a goood standard, there is plenty of dayglo, even a white helmet or two... Presumably this is mostly an unconcious ' Oh, they might be police...' reaction, but whatever, if they give me a bit more consideration, I'll take it, whatever the cause!

my point is, give them a number of positive hints, they will probably treat you with more respect than if you give them the ammunition to confirm their existing low opinion of us all.
Two things happen as you get older and I can't remember either of them.
wunwinglow

Return to Advanced Riding Issues