Risk groups

General discussion of any issues that vaguely or not so vaguely relate to stuff about things that concern riding.

Moderator: BAM Moderators

Risk groups

Postby tfdodo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:52 am

From the BBC news this morning - young drivers [forget if they specified that term] do 8% of the mileage but make up 30% of injury accidents. Almost the same ratio [ie "4 times riskier than average"] as motorcyclists I seem to recall. Now there's a coincidence.

Quite where that leaves young motorcyclists (probably in the ditch mostly, or in casualty :shock: ...)

but it should certainly leave the rest of us wary of young drivers.

On a vaguely related note, from AIRSO :
More than a million drivers now aged over 80

The number of drivers over the age of 80 has now topped one million according to information obtained by the IAM following a freedom of information request to the DVLA at the end of January.

DVLA figures show that there are now 1,012,399 drivers over 80. There are also 122 licence holders over the age of 100, including three 105 year olds, and one 106 year old woman.
. But they are safer than average.... although I suspect that if you normalised against mileage that wouldn't hold

(if I was after unscientific cheap hits I'd add "...judging by the speed most of them seem to travel at" :evil: , although as ever I guess you don't notice the competent ones)
Rubber side down,
Nick A (SO-Team B)

"In a perfect world the future wouldn't make a dent..."

Balance Safety and Joy
tfdodo

Return to Advanced Riding Issues