No overtaking

General discussion of any issues that vaguely or not so vaguely relate to stuff about things that concern riding.

Moderator: BAM Moderators

No overtaking

Postby hughs » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:01 pm

Rule 165 of the highway code states:
You MUST NOT overtake

if you would have to cross or straddle double white lines with a solid line nearest to you (but see Rule 129)
if you would have to enter an area designed to divide traffic, if it is surrounded by a solid white line
the nearest vehicle to a pedestrian crossing, especially when it has stopped to let pedestrians cross
if you would have to enter a lane reserved for buses, trams or cycles during its hours of operation
after a ‘No Overtaking’ sign and until you pass a sign cancelling the restriction

[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36, TSRGD regs 10, 22, 23 & 24, ZPPPCRGD reg 24]

So what does a sign cancelling a 'No overtaking' sign look like? I'm thinking of Lansdown Road in bath (past the racecourse) where there are both double white lines and No Overtaking signs. There is then a national speed limit sign and broken white lines but according to the above you're still not allowed to overtake? I don't remember seeing a sign cancelling it so does that mean I'm never allowed to overtake again.........
hughs

Re: No overtaking

Postby jogler » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:20 pm

hughs wrote: so does that mean I'm never allowed to overtake again.........

Might as well get a car then :lol:
My memory is like a hard disk; the fuller it gets, the longer the access time
jogler

Postby GsxrGareth » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:49 pm

Given the rediculous quantity of signs that the authorities seem to think we all need to negotiate the road, and the fact they they seem to forget about the ones that cancel them, I can see a lucrative little business opportunity here. We find the missing signs and then sell them to the local authority at rediculously inflated prices (no government body will buy anything unless it is at a rediculously inflated price).

Then we go steal them back, recondition them and sell them on again. Seriously, what's the worst that could happen?
GsxrGareth

Postby tfdodo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:02 pm

just look for a sign saying

"NO NO OVERTAKING"

:twisted:
Rubber side down,
Nick A (SO-Team B)

"In a perfect world the future wouldn't make a dent..."

Balance Safety and Joy
tfdodo

Postby Horse » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:51 pm

tfdodo wrote:just look for a sign saying

"NO NO OVERTAKING"

:twisted:

Isn't that the Vicar of Dibley Tom Trott signing? "Oh no no no no, yes"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InTAt2hI_kg[/youtube]
I assert my author rights: Copyright Design Patent Act 1988 may be quoted in Chain Link posts, but contacted for written consent before any other use/storage/transmission/recording

Argue with me: http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com
Horse

Postby Billy Burns » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:13 pm

They are 3 separate regulations

if you would have to enter a lane reserved for buses, trams or cycles during its hours of operation
after a ‘No Overtaking’ sign and until you pass a sign cancelling the restriction (this end sign comment belongs to this restriction not solid white lines or approaches to crossing etc.)

The answer is when the solid white lines end or a single solid on your side of the road ends. AND it is safe to do so.

Simples really if you are a meerkat and have a legal type brain!!

Billy
Billy Burns

Return to Advanced Riding Issues