Cobbles

General discussion of any issues that vaguely or not so vaguely relate to stuff about things that concern riding.

Moderator: BAM Moderators

Cobbles

Postby Slimebutton » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:34 pm

Last Thursday I had to make a right turn on a cobbled street. It was raining lightly. Speed was slow - less than 10 mph. Yes you've guessed correctly. Front wheel slipped away and I ended up on my side under the bike. Nice pedestrians helped me out and to lift up the bike. My Kawasaki ZL600b Eliminator bars are bent on the right side by about 5 degrees. My brake pedal is bent up around my footpeg. Right mirror sheered off. Scratches to headleght surround.

Any tips and advice on how to stop this happening again?

Phoned Bristol Kawasaki for parts and all they can tell me that parts come from California as they say it's a grey import, No it is not! It's a genuine British import. And they dont do the brake pedal anymore. Any ideas where I can source parts? Would it be possible to persuade the bars or pedal back?

regards from a very sore shoulder and massively dented pride
Simon :(
Feet forward is better thank base over apex.
Slimebutton

Re: Cobbles

Postby ozzzie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:08 pm

Slimebutton wrote:Any tips and advice on how to stop this happening again?

No magical cures.

You have to try and be as upright as you can when you hit the cobbles or make the turn (wide, gentle turns) and keep the throttle neutral. Don't touch the brakes unless you have to and favour the rear. Be smooth.

The other thing to seriously consider is some grippy tyres. The latest generation of rubber like the Dunlop Roadsmart are very, very good in wet, slippy conditions. If you have old, bakerlite tyres, it won't help your cause.
Oz.
Site Admin

Warning: Postings may contain traces of irony or sarcasm.
ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby davebloke » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:02 am

Any tips and advice on how to stop this happening again?(

stay away from that street! :oops:
davebloke

Postby Slimebutton » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Thanks Davebloke. Trouble is - I work there. Should I not go to work anymore :?:
Slimebutton

Postby GsxrGareth » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:52 pm

Presuming that your brake pedal is made of an alloy a good metal fabricator or someone familiar with aluminium welding should be able to straighten it out for you. Do not try to straighten it yourself unless you are experienced in using heat to manipulate metal. It will only bend so far before it snaps - and it has already bent quite a long way from the sound of things. If you find someone to fix your brake pedal your bars will be a simple job for the same chap.

Google metal fabricators in your local area and give them a call.

Good luck.
GsxrGareth

Postby Slimebutton » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:49 am

Cheers Guys.
Found a man who can! He persuaded my bars and pedal bake in to place. Not even a mark on the chromes bars. Apparently he heated them up from the inside. Got my bike back and he only charged me a couple of pints.
Went to ride it this morning and silence.., battery burgered. Got to buy a new battery.
S.
Slimebutton

Postby GsxrGareth » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:38 pm

Do we have a section for 'the men that can'? I think we should have. One good deed and all that.
GsxrGareth

Return to Advanced Riding Issues