"unforgiving"

General discussion of any issues that vaguely or not so vaguely relate to stuff about things that concern riding.

Moderator: BAM Moderators

"unforgiving"

Postby tfdodo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:19 pm

...I frequently quote that what we do is "unforgiving", a phrase I choose with care. Minor mistakes, omissions, or oversights in not allowing for other's actions or mistakes can readily have consequences out of all proportion to their culpability.
From another place:
I have just returned home after witnessing a very nasty crash involving a fellow biker. I was sitting in a queue of traffic on North Parade Road in Bath, the queue was moving forward slowly towards the traffic lights on the A36. I watched in my mirror as down the outside of the queue a motorcyclist overtook the queue in what I would describe as a safe and sensible fashion, at reasonable speed and at a safe distance from the queue of traffic. A car turned out from the Rec car park at speed hitting the motorcycle directly in the side, the rider was thrown in the air about 10 feet and landed badly! He was patently knocked out and I wasn't in a position to find out his actual condition. Fortunately in the queue a little way behind there was a paramedic in a 4x4 heading for the rugby ground so help was there almost immediately....I'm writing this because it really shocked me how much damage can be done at relatively low speeds, how invisible we are as bikers (no matter how much hi-vis) and how even when your doing everything right people turning don't look properly before pulling out!

My thoughts include "...able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear..." and, especially, "Mind the Gap" [if this puzzles you then use 'search' or ask] .
But also that .. as well as being an overtaking manouvre, filtering is something that motorists cannot do, and many will just totally fail to take account of. Doesn't really matter who's "in the right", it's in OUR power to avoid everybody whilst doing it, AND we're the ones who wind up in casualty.

Your thoughts ?
Rubber side down,
Nick A (SO-Team B)

"In a perfect world the future wouldn't make a dent..."

Balance Safety and Joy
tfdodo

Re: "unforgiving"

Postby timmygore » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:17 pm

When filtering, progress at "reasonable" speed is a somewhat personal concept. As has already been said, motorists (or pedestrians for that matter) just do not expect any vehicles to be moving forward when the traffic is largely stopped. The "Safety Bubble" can only be preserved if you can remain distant from the adjacent hazards (pushchairs; buggies; vehicles moving through stopped traffic; cyclists; on-coming traffic and the opening doors of stationary vehicles are just a few examples).

So, maybe a "reasonable" speed may be rather faster than reasonable in some circumstances. Lateral distance from hazards may also be a way of distancing from such hazards. Going more slowly is largely the answer. I am always amazed at the speeds that some motorcyclists progress through stopped/slow lanes of traffic on the motorways (e.g in excess of 50mph, gulp).

Take it steady and expect the unexpected - which is what IAM is mostly about IMHO.

Tim
timmygore

Postby ozzzie » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:44 pm

timmygore wrote:Take it steady and expect the unexpected - which is what IAM is mostly about IMHO.

Tim

IIRC and FWIW, IAM use IPSGA.
Oz.
Site Admin

Warning: Postings may contain traces of irony or sarcasm.
ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby timmygore » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:42 am

Hi Oz,

Please translate the last comments for my understanding - IPSGA doen't specifically deal with risk in my opinion, rather it is a mechanism for considered actions in sequence. Of course risk is highly important and should arise from information ingested.

Regards,

Tim
timmygore

Postby ozzzie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:10 am

timmygore wrote: IPSGA doen't specifically deal with risk

I always knew there was a flaw with the system.
Oz.
Site Admin

Warning: Postings may contain traces of irony or sarcasm.
ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby tfdodo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:58 pm

iirc it drills down as... [capitals drill down to next line]
INFORMATION - p - s - g - a
VVVV
take - USE - give
vvv
assess - PLAN - act
vvv
anticipate - prioritise - decide

and if you take the middle item of each (bar the first) you get a fair drilldown to a risk assessment in action, eg Information > Use > Plan > prioritise (then decide and act)

MCRC may not major on how you assess risk, but I think that is, to a fair degree, intuitive once you've been encouraged to systematically seek, identify and prioritise it, in a structured way that gives you enough time to plan a response.

[well you did ask ;) ].
Rubber side down,
Nick A (SO-Team B)

Balance Safety and Joy
tfdodo

Postby tfdodo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Boing ! Mind the Gap

Seems appropriate to revive this rather than start a new thread . Mike Belch, one-time BAM member, was taken out whilst filtering in Bristol last Saturday, as a result of which he currently sports in his left wrist, a device for setting off airport metal-detectors :cry: . [GWS Mike]

Mike has been as advanced rider (who takes an active interest in his riding skills) for quite some time, and was on a not-too-inconspicuous BMW GS boxer at the time [which he successfully saved from significant damage by throwing himself under as it fell :-? ].

The motorists are all Hot'n'Bothered at the moment, and many motorcyclists (hopefully not many reading here) have decided that a risk of extensive skin and bone grafts is far preferable to getting and wearing protective clothing, which gives me an excuse to remind folks that

when filtering you should always Mind the Gap

When filtering, cars can't leap sideways at you. But both people and cars do appear very suddenly from gaps in lines of cars. Expect it, plan for it, don't be the next one to collect a titanium plate courtesy of the NHS.
Rubber side down,
Nick A (SO-Team B)

Balance Safety and Joy
tfdodo

Postby jogler » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Get well soon Mike if you're reading this (and even if you aren't!).

Mind the Gap - a point well made.

If you want to practice this, then ride into Bath on the A4 from the east, i.e. Batheaston bypass. There's a lovely bus lane useable by motorcyclists with an unusual number of turnings/gaps in it. Any East patch Freewheeler rider will be very familiar with this stretch of road and (I hope) the hazards presented by using this particular bus lane.

S
My memory is like a hard disk; the fuller it gets, the longer the access time
jogler

Return to Advanced Riding Issues