able to stop, safely on your side...

General discussion of any issues that vaguely or not so vaguely relate to stuff about things that concern riding.

Moderator: BAM Moderators

able to stop, safely on your side...

Postby tfdodo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:03 am

About the closest to a "rule" in advanced riding is that you should 'always be able to stop safely, on your side of the road, in the distance you can see to be clear'.
Riders often question whether this is practicable. In general I'd suggest that if it isn't practicable, you should be adjusting another aspect of your riding until it is [maybe speed ? or attitude ? or risk acceptance?]

From another place wrote:Unfortunately, [the bike] was the victim of a stealth attack by a Range Rover, who was hiding behind the bushes on the wrong side of the road, on a blind left hand bend, after a hump-back bridge, decided to prematurely end its career

24062011063a.jpg
24062011063a.jpg (453.74 KiB) Viewed 7546 times

Rider was largely OK, this time. Compare though the "nothing I could do, guv" description, with MCRC's suggestion that the most likely statistical outcome from an RTC is nothing learned & an increased liklihood of an identical accident recurring :cry:
Rubber side down,
Nick A (SO-Team B)

"In a perfect world the future wouldn't make a dent..."

Balance Safety and Joy
tfdodo

Re: able to stop, safely on your side...

Postby Horse » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:53 pm

I had 'one of those' conversations with a trainee about corner entry speed:

http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com/searc ... 20planning
I assert my author rights: Copyright Design Patent Act 1988 may be quoted in Chain Link posts, but contacted for written consent before any other use/storage/transmission/recording

Argue with me: http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com
Horse

Re: able to stop, safely on your side...

Postby davebloke » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:38 pm

i think i'd just rather stop safely........which ever side of the road it was! :roll:
davebloke

Return to Advanced Riding Issues