confessional - havin' it back

General discussion of any issues that vaguely or not so vaguely relate to stuff about things that concern riding.

Moderator: BAM Moderators

confessional - havin' it back

Postby tfdodo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:52 pm

How to pitch this ? There are lessons to be learned, just not sure I've learned them :shock:
As well as both powered and unpowered 2-wheelers, we have in the family a 16h1 Shire X [= 'big, solid'] horse, and an A-reg Mercedes 608 horsebox wagon. 6.5 tonne max weight, the 608 is the Merc van model beloved of some travelling types. And the horse [who weighs about 675kg alone] lives quite near a secondary school.
The brakes on the 608 are excellent, but slamming them on does rather inconvenience 600+ kg of horse, who can't see out or predict what you're about to do. So a premium on sensible speeds, advanced O+P, and gentle deceleration where necessary, when the horse is in the back. On the day in question I was probably doing 10-12mph as it was picking-up time past the school. Good sight-lines over verges both sides of the road. My side clear, offside covered in parked cars for a good hundred feet apart from a couple of car-lengths just before my road ended in a T-junction.

There was a large, new, shiny silver soft 4x4 [think Cayenne or Toureg] waiting to turn right from the main road to become incoming on my road. There was easily room for her [it was very evidently a mum on the school run] to turn right into the road I was on and wait behind the parked cars [on her side], as space was tight. However sometimes the stereotypes are right* . She swung in, clocked me (probably only at that point), and decided that despite its being my right of way, as she was A School Mum, and as she was in A Shiny 4x4, she'd barge through anyway.

That's entirely her prerogative. What isn't, is that she expected me to jam on the brakes to stop 5+ tonnes of {lorry + horse} in about 15 feet from 10mph for her convenience. And I've always been a pretty good judge of vehicle width. So I reckoned that with 4 or 5" clear my side, she'd have enough room [say 3" per side]. So I carried on.

She was committed by this stage, and is obviously not blessed with the ability to judge vehicle widths ... something she could have taken into account a bit before that . I reckon her face showed incredulity for about 1/4 second, and then for a half-second after that I swear I have never seen anyone looking more convincingly like they thought they were going to die.

She didn't of course. She was heading in the right direction anyway, give or take. She went straight on, I went straight on, we all missed each other as I'd known we would. I'm sure that at dinner parties she now intersperses 'the Tale of the killer Horsebox' with self-satisfied stories about how she bosses her way around the roads in her 4x4 "because it makes her feel safe" with no sense of irony at all.

The trouble is I also tell this tale with some relish and satisfaction. Although I would have had to slam the brakes on - and it really does inconvenience the horse [you try travelling standing up without seeing where you're going] - even in that split second decision there was also an element of 'punishing bad behaviour'. I usually take some pride in my ability to rise above that sort of stuff on the roads - and, as advanced motorcyclists, so we should. Why is this one different ?

*they do, after all, become stereotypes somehow... and my personal experience is that the School Run is often typified by standards of driving that make Average Bristol look advanced :cry:
Rubber side down,
Nick A (SO-Team B)

"In a perfect world the future wouldn't make a dent..."

Balance Safety and Joy
tfdodo

Re: confessional - havin' it back

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:41 pm

tfdodo wrote: I swear I have never seen anyone looking more convincingly like they thought they were going to die.

I'm sure that at dinner parties she now intersperses 'the Tale of the killer Horsebox' with self-satisfied stories about how she bosses her way around the roads in her 4x4 "because it makes her feel safe" with no sense of irony at all.

The trouble is I also tell this tale with some relish and satisfaction.

Back tomorrow for another go? :P

tfdodo wrote: Average Bristol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3159813.stm
I assert my author rights: Copyright Design Patent Act 1988 may be quoted in Chain Link posts, but contacted for written consent before any other use/storage/transmission/recording

Argue with me: http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com
Horse

Re: confessional - havin' it back

Postby Evel Knievel » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:13 pm

Horse wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3159813.stm

Nice link. My personal favourite, when dealing with a novice rider who perhaps would be better to take up golf, is GNI = God Never Intended.
Too much "Oh sh!t" = Not enough "What if?"
Evel Knievel

Return to Advanced Riding Issues