A result for the training

General discussion of any issues that vaguely or not so vaguely relate to stuff about things that concern riding.

Moderator: BAM Moderators

A result for the training

Postby DucJohn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:13 pm

Every time I ride my bike I am grateful for the training I received (last year) in preparation for my test and the continuing encouragement from BAM to improve my application of advanced riding principals. I just feel so much more relaxed and in control of my riding. I am sure we all feel this, even if we do not state it, but something happened last Monday night that brought this thought freshly to mind.

I was returning from Cheddar to Bristol at around 11pm on the A38. It had been a fine day, but it was now very dark. I was enjoying a reasonably high speed run along a familiar road with very light traffic when I came upon two cars travelling rather more sedately. It was at the section of the road at Red Hill approaching the airport where there used to be three lanes, the centre “suicide” lane being shared by overtaking traffic in both directions. The centre lane is now hatched, with double white lines on the southbound side and a broken line on the northbound. As I drew nearer to the cars my intention was to use the hatched lane to overtake them. We were approaching a blind left hand bend and I would not have passed the cars until just before the bend. I assessed the situation and decided there was no reason not to continue the overtake as any oncoming traffic (of which there had been next to none up to that point) would be constrained by the double white lines to the opposite side of the road. This is when something made me hold back instinctively. It was not a considered decision, but I slowed and held a position behind the cars. I was chiding myself for not following through with the overtake when suddenly a police car with blue lights on but no siren came belting round the bend in the hatched centre lane, passing a car at a very considerable speed well over the double whites. If I had committed to my overtake we would have had to take drastic avoiding action at the very least, most likely I would have crashed in the process, even if not hit by the police car. As it was, nothing of note occurred and we all continued our journeys routinely.

I believe this was a consequence of a subconscious application of observation and decision making principles that I have been learning from advanced rider training. Immediately after the accidents that I have experienced over the years, I always wished I could turn back time a few minutes and make a different decision to avoid the unpleasant situation that had just occurred. I feel that advanced training has given me the chance to effectively do just that.
John Cooper
DucJohn

Re: A result for the training

Postby ozzzie » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:33 am

DucJohn wrote:I believe this was a consequence of a subconscious application of observation and decision making principles that I have been learning from advanced rider training. Immediately after the accidents that I have experienced over the years, I always wished I could turn back time a few minutes and make a different decision to avoid the unpleasant situation that had just occurred. I feel that advanced training has given me the chance to effectively do just that.

Thanks John. Experiences like that certainly make you think about the "What can reasonably be expected to happen" scenario. The training certainly gives you more things to add to your mental scales when making a decision.

There is always the danger that you may be happen to be riding 5 minutes before the donut shop closes, although that would lead to several Police vehicles travelling together at speed.
Oz.
Site Admin

Warning: Postings may contain traces of irony or sarcasm.
ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby SimonJ » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Wow, great story John. That really shows how just one incident can sum up the need for and benefits from Advanced Riding.
Simon J
SimonJ

Postby Al » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:28 pm

Thanks for sharing the experience John. I was following a police car up the A46 a few months ago. There was heavy traffic due to an accident near the M4 junction and the police car was well over the double white line. All the cars were mounting the kerb to get out of the way, which at least gave me space to (very cautiously) follow without crossing the white lines! Going round a left-hand bend on the wrong side of the double whites, it took some heroic braking and much bonnet dipping both by the police car and the car coming the other way to avoid a bad accident (I was safely further back).

When we reached the accident near the M4 junction, there was already a police car dealing with the situation, making me question the need for the rush.

When I did the Severn Freewheelers blue light training, they emphasised that neither we nor the police have any exemptions when it comes to crossing double white lines, so it worries me that they are putting themselves and the public into such risky situations with no legal consideration.

Al
Al

Postby ozzzie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:55 pm

Al wrote:they emphasised that neither we nor the police have any exemptions when it comes to crossing double white lines

Is that certain?
Oz.
Site Admin

ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby Al » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:38 pm

ozzzie wrote:
Al wrote:they emphasised that neither we nor the police have any exemptions when it comes to crossing double white lines

Is that certain?

Of course, I am not a policeman and can't offer any firm answer to that, but the blue light training that we did was organised by Gloucestershire Constabulary and included a police training video (which had a section on not crossing solid white lines and recommended that the blues and twos be turned off if you know you're approaching a section of solid white lines). The discussion forum at your link looks mostly like it's written by people who are following the fine forum tradition of talking about stuff they don't really know about (said fully aware that I'm doing exactly the same thing!), with the possible exception of "Monster", who said:

Monster wrote:We (The Met) have recently prosecuted a Surrey Police Officer for crossing a solid white line (As he came through our area). Using his own video as evidence.

So I'd say I'm not certain, but I have a fairly high degree of confidence...
Al

Postby jogler » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:55 pm

To be pedantic (what a surprise!), double white lines is not the issue. It's whether the line nearest to you (assuming you are on the left hand side of the road :lol: ) is solid.

The exemptions for the emergency services (fire, police and ambulance) as far as I am aware from various police training sources (without knowing the Road Traffic Act details) are:
exceeding the speed limit,
treating red traffic lights as give ways (but NOT temporary lights),
passing the wrong side of a traffic island so long as it is not preceded by a solid white line on your side,
using the hard shoulder on a motorway,
using accesses designated for use by emergency vehicles (I found one in Trowbridge!).

However, if using any of the above causes an 'incident' then the driver/rider is in deep do-do!

Crossing/straddling solid white lines is not an exemption.

However, like all road traffic law experts out there, I may be wrong :oops:

Simon
My memory is like a hard disk; the fuller it gets, the longer the access time
jogler

Postby tfdodo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:55 am

ozzzie wrote:

Is that certain?

Getting good advice on UK emergency vehicle law is difficult, but I'd suggest that looking too closely on pepipoo is a sign of desperation :shock:
Rubber side down,
Nick A (SO-Team B)

"In a perfect world the future wouldn't make a dent..."

Balance Safety and Joy
tfdodo

Postby ozzzie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:43 am

tfdodo wrote:I'd suggest that looking too closely on pepipoo is a sign of desperation :shock:

Well I tried UK bondage and dogging sites, but they didn't have anything useful to say...on this topic anyway.
Oz.
Site Admin

ozzzie
Site Admin

Return to Advanced Riding Issues