New Book comment...

General discussion of any issues that vaguely or not so vaguely relate to stuff about things that concern riding.

Moderator: BAM Moderators

New Book comment...

Postby wunwinglow » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi All, sorry if this has already been discussed, but going over the current issue of 'How to be a Better Biker' I thought the Overall Stopping Distance diagram on p51 looked a bit odd: it is NOT to scale!! I think this could be a bit misleading, especially as the paragraph above is at pains to point out that doubling your speed quadruples the stopping distance.

Otherwise, and so far, I like the new book. Anyone else got any comments? I gather we can forward comments to the authors for future issues.

Tim

PS I just tried the link given in the accompanying letter, and I can't get it to work!!
Two things happen as you get older and I can't remember either of them.
wunwinglow

Re: New Book comment...

Postby timmygore » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:09 pm

I fully concur. It is quite stupid to show 70mph stopping distance as only 2 times 30mph stopping distance. It struck me the first time I read the book. Whilst I think that most of the book is very good, it does also jump about a bit from my point of view.

Regards,

Tim
timmygore

Postby ozzzie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:37 pm

wunwinglow wrote:Anyone else got any comments? I gather we can forward comments to the authors for future issues.

I think we agreed that the page in question should have a fold-out section to accommodate the diagram.
Oz.
Site Admin

Warning: Postings may contain traces of irony or sarcasm.
ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby wunwinglow » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:59 pm

Hmmm.... Maybe the next issue could have pop-up fold-out models of all the situations, so you could hold the book up to your eye and get the exact impression of vanishing points, 'Hole for the Ace' etc., etc.

Tim
Two things happen as you get older and I can't remember either of them.
wunwinglow

Return to Advanced Riding Issues