A4 Hicksgate Bus Lane - Ride or not to Ride

General discussion of any issues that vaguely or not so vaguely relate to stuff about things that concern riding.

Moderator: BAM Moderators

A4 Hicksgate Bus Lane - Ride or not to Ride

Postby ozzzie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:02 pm

Hi,

Here's a copy of some investigation of this issue by Tony Oliver, one of our illustrious examiners:

Tony Oliver wrote:The section of road between the Hicks gate RAB and the traffic lights by the entrance to the P&R covers 2 authority areas - BANES and Bristol.

On the southern side of the RAB [Keynsham by-pass] there is a short section of bus lane where BANES have authorised by way of a Traffic Regulation Order, the use of the bus lane by [with others] M/C's. There is a sign which clearly sets this out.

This bus lane, and the authority as above, continues up to the unitary authority boundary. This is marker by a "Welcome to Bristol" Sign approx 35 meters north of the RAB.

At this point, the bus lane becomes "a lane for buses and other traffic intent on using the Park and Ride."

This section of road is not a regulated bus lane as there is no Traffic Regulation order in force to enforce this restriction.

In other words, in law, anyone can use the nearside lane. It is NOT a bus lane.

A Bus lane does start just south of the park and ride traffic lights [by 2 meters!] M/C's are permitted to go through these lights [when green!] as part of allowed traffic.

No offence is committed by ANY traffic using the nearside lane which moves to the outer lane prior to the traffic lights - so long as no driving without due care and attention or more serious offence is not part of the maneuver.

In other words, it's a bit of a muddle!

Bristol City Council have acknowledged this verbally to me. They would / will not commit to paper.

There are plans to improve the position possibly including adding an extra lane and some major works around the junction of Bath road and Emery road but this will not take place until at least the summer of 2011.

So, on test and in daily life I will use the nearside lane and either go through the traffic lights when green or move to the outer lane if and when safe to do so. The latter is the safer!.

When is a bus lane not a bus lane? When it is on the A4!!

Thankfully, this matches what I've been telling people.
Oz.
Site Admin

Warning: Postings may contain traces of irony or sarcasm.
ozzzie
Site Admin

Re: A4 Hicksgate Bus Lane - Ride or not to Ride

Postby dallen » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:05 pm

When I took my bike test (not IAM) back in 2003, I was told by my instructor to move back to the outside lane if safe to do so, because it is safer. I did this and the examiner marked me down, because he said I should have gone through the lights. Mind you he also told the instructor off for teaching me to reverse steer but I do that automatically! Actually, I use it every day and I feel it is safer to go through the lights as you can guage the traffic as you come to filter in, and the island makes this fairly easy. The tricky bit is watching the traffic to make sure they do not pull over to the left hand side after the lights to avoid the cars turning right.
dallen

Postby ozzzie » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:47 pm

dallen wrote:When I took my bike test (not IAM) back in 2003, I was told by my instructor to move back to the outside lane if safe to do so, because it is safer. I did this and the examiner marked me down, because he said I should have gone through the lights.

Horses for courses. What's appropriate for one set of circumstances at a given location might not be appropriate for another set of circumstances at the same location.

Reverse steer? Is that about getting cattle to go backwards?
Oz.
Site Admin

Warning: Postings may contain traces of irony or sarcasm.
ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby Evel Knievel » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:56 pm

I witnessed something quite interesting on my way home from work this evening (I work in Keynsham and commute through Brislington home to North Bristol). The person shall remain nameless (mainly because I don't know their name!), but was riding a black Suzuki Bandit GT with luggage and a BAMO hi-vis (observer?). He was sat in the queue of traffic in lane 2 of the A4 whilst I pottered up the inside lane and through the lights. As I passed McDonald's I noticed a few more riders in hi-vis parked up, so doubled back round the block (curiosity had gotten the better of me!) to find Simon Jarvis, Tony Hurdon et al preparing for a trip to France.

Aforementioned Bandit GT rider had made it through the traffic by then and during the conversation the subject of A4 park and ride lane came up.

Me: "Just out of interest, why were you sat in the traffic rather than using the park and ride / bus lane?"
Anon BAM member: "Because it says so on the forum (or words to that effect)"

Um, does it?
Too much "Oh sh!t" = Not enough "What if?"
Evel Knievel

Postby Horse » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:02 pm

dallen wrote: Mind you he also told the instructor off for teaching me to reverse steer

How could he tell? :?:
a. That you did it;
b. Your instructor had taught you;
c. That it was any of his business how you do something if you reach the required test standard.

And I love to know if he examines Module 1, with the swerve exercise and expects riders not to counter-steer . . .
I assert my author rights: Copyright Design Patent Act 1988 may be quoted in Chain Link posts, but contacted for written consent before any other use/storage/transmission/recording

Argue with me: http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com
Horse

Postby TTBird » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:09 pm

There's no swerve in mod1, it's an avoidance manouver. :roll: :lol:
Chris Allen
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back,and may the sun shine upon your face
until we meet again.
TTBird

Return to Advanced Riding Issues