Riding without using your brakes?

General discussion of any issues that vaguely or not so vaguely relate to stuff about things that concern riding.

Moderator: BAM Moderators

Riding without using your brakes?

Postby jogler » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:00 pm

I had an interesting (if not strictly legal) twist to this yesterday.

I'd arranged to meet another couple of guys for a ride yesterday and arrived at Aust services, turned off the ignition and the alarm armed.....and then went off. And the bike was immobilised. To cut a long story short, a fuse had blown but by the time I'd found that I'd sent the other two on their way without me. Replaced the fuse and the bike started OK with me thinking "but what made it blow in the first place? Was it just 'old'?" Everything seemed fine.

I thought, nice day, sun's out, I'll see if I can chase the other two down up the Wye Valley even though they had quite a headstart. Had a cracking ride up the valley and the bike was running sweet as a nut. As I approached Monmouth and despite the difficult lighting conditions (sunshine!) I had an inkling that the indicators weren't flashing (plenty of overtaking opportunities). So I pulled in but left the engine running just in case.

Sure enough, the indicators, horn and brake lights weren't working which were all on the fuse that had blown before. And it had blown again and no more spare fuses. Hmmm! Decision time. OK, indicators aren't a problem as I've got arms. Horn is rarely used. But no brake light. Could 'dummy' it by switching lights on and off but decided that was a bit silly as if I really needed to show one I wouldn't want to be faffing about with the light switch.

"I know! I'll ride like an advanced rider who doesn't use his brakes!" Still not comfortable totally with that. So manage the ride so that there is never anyone close behind to benefit from a brake light. That sounded like more fun. So a progressive ride back if not quite as much as on the way up - and I didn't show a brake light once! Which doesn't mean I didn't brake at all!

It did alter my riding plan though. For instance approaching the Valley near Chepstow, I came up behind about 6 cars which were pickable possibly one by one. However, I decided to stay behind them so that I didn't get in front of one in a queue who might then rearend me. I kept a good eye for traffic approaching from behind which would have meant decision time.

So riding without showing a brake light - advanced technique or illegal activity?

(fault traced to a short in the most inaccessible part of the wiring loom , bypassed with a new wire).

Of course all the above is fiction, occifer! :roll:

Simon
My memory is like a hard disk; the fuller it gets, the longer the access time
jogler

Re: Riding without using your brakes?

Postby ozzzie » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:36 am

jogler wrote:I had an interesting (if not strictly legal) twist to this yesterday.

That should be in the new book: "How an advanced rider should use an unroadworthy vehicle on the public highway".
Oz.
Site Admin

Warning: Postings may contain traces of irony or sarcasm.
ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby SimonJ » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:22 pm

Great story Simon, just shows what a bit of thought & planning can do, even in an awkward, my bike's not quite right, situation. I never did like alarms very much!
Simon J
SimonJ

Postby jogler » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:37 pm

ozzie wrote:That should be in the new book

Is that the "definitive" book?

SimonJ wrote:I never did like alarms very much!

My thoughts did turn to decommissioning the alarm but I think that could be a major job. And it wouldn't have avoided the actual problem in this fictitious situation. Found where the scuffing has occurred and as expected in a very inaccessible place. Managed to get some rubber sheet up there and cut the offending wire out of the circuit and ran a new one. Just need to put everything back together now.
My memory is like a hard disk; the fuller it gets, the longer the access time
jogler

Postby tfdodo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:19 am

if it was just the alarm problem you could title yer' new book "Ride it like you stole it". Sure I've heard that somewhere before ... :)
Rubber side down,
Nick A (SO-Team B)

"In a perfect world the future wouldn't make a dent..."

Balance Safety and Joy
tfdodo

Return to Advanced Riding Issues