breakdown/recovery insurance

General discussion of any issues that vaguely or not so vaguely relate to stuff about things that concern riding.

Moderator: BAM Moderators

breakdown/recovery insurance

Postby tfdodo » Thu May 07, 2009 12:28 pm

OK, so everybody has heard of the AA and the RAC, both of which cost comparable £75-100++ for full-blown gold or platinum cover levels [where bronze=roadside, silver =roadside+recovery, gold=roadside+recovery+at-home, platinum = roadside+recovery+at-home+onward-travel or thereabouts ].
Less people are aware that - especially if you're prepared to use a "pay & reclaim"* model, you can get comparable cover for far less. *This puts many people off, but I've claimed on Autoaid 4 times now & always [paid by credit card and] had a cheque within 4 or 5 working days of putting the claim in.

Auto-aid do UK annual cover, incl IoM*, for you plus spouse, on any vehicle, inc roadside/homestart/recovery/onward travel, pay&reclaim, £37 a year ; or the cheapest comparable European annual cover is £60. see moneysavingexpert.com for more details.
*which AA & RAC regard as "abroad" !

For short term European cover, bikes up to 15yo for 7 days in Spain £24.75 [edit 18/9/2013] from http://www.vehicle-rescue.com/motorcycle.php ; or £30 odd from rescuemybike.com
There was also another option mentioned on the MSE forum quoting about £19 for the same but limited to vehicles under 10yo [hence I didn't pay much heed]

Or if you're feeling really sneaky, and confident that your bike won't need recovering [BMW owners need not apply then :D] ... get European cover with the RAC and as long as you haven't used it you can cancel - and get a full refund - any time within 15 days :D
Rubber side down,
Nick A (SO-Team B)

"In a perfect world the future wouldn't make a dent..."

Balance Safety and Joy
tfdodo

Re: breakdown/recovery insurance

Postby ozzzie » Thu May 07, 2009 7:56 pm

I covered both bikes and my car with them for £106, which I was happy enough with. That was cheaper than my AA cover and gives me the added benefit of european cover for everything the whole year round (for those ad hoc trips).

Muy bien.
Oz.
Site Admin

Warning: Postings may contain traces of irony or sarcasm.
ozzzie
Site Admin

Re: breakdown/recovery insurance

Postby tfdodo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:03 pm

fwiw a friend just needed her car recovering from the M20 by the AA and has been landed with a £300 bill because AA recovery "does not cover recovery for over 50 miles". [that's apart from a 2-hour wait to be towed to the nearest service station and then a 5 hour wait for her £300 recovery home - starting at 7pm, lone female with a 3-month old baby in tow].

Combined with the AA's Ts & Cs stating that they won't recover form any sort of collision "as it's just a breakdown service" , they are getting ever closer to their ideal business model of charging £150 a year to do absolutely nothing, ever...
Rubber side down,
Nick A (SO-Team B)

"In a perfect world the future wouldn't make a dent..."

Balance Safety and Joy
tfdodo

Return to Advanced Riding Issues