20MPH Zone

General discussion of any issues that vaguely or not so vaguely relate to stuff about things that concern riding.

Moderator: BAM Moderators

20MPH Zone

Postby fag break » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:01 pm

when entering a 20MP red circle, there was no repeater sign other than the 20mph written on the road.

Now in answer to my associates question, remain at the speed till you see another sign of a different speed.

The above is on Filton avenue between the A38 and Mc donalds direction,

Am I correct ? :?:
fag break

Postby jogler » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:01 pm

I have consulted my fount of knowledge on these matters (SWMBO).

And this is where it gets confusing (to me anyway!). There are 20mph zones and 20mph speed limits.

20 mph zones (entry sign will say so) do not need repeaters but have traffic calming measures (speed humps, constrictions, etc.) to keep the speed to 20mph so they are 'self enforcing'.

20mph limits (normal speed limit entry signs) should use repeaters.

I'm reliably informed that Filton Avenue is a 'zone' therefore repeaters are not necessary.

I hope that helps.

Simon
jogler

20mph zone or limit

Postby John C » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:24 pm

As I regularly commute (crawl) in the car through the new 20mph area in St George I was interested in your post and did a bit of digging.

The new limit is clearly signed by a pair of 20 signs in red circles. No mention or usual secondary sign underneath to say that it is a 20mph zone. It follows therefore that in law this is a 20mph limit and not a 20mph zone.

The difference is important as the rules for a zone state that a zone does not need repeater signs whereas the rules for a 20mph limit quite clearly say that they must include regular repeaters.

For those who know the area it runs from just past Protyre in Lawrence Hill up to the traffic lights at St Georges Park. There are clearly no repeater signs set up and equally no white reminders in the road. For what it is worth I would suggest this particular limit is not enforceable.

Not really that important in the overall scheme of things but I think it does go to show yet again that the comedians working in local authority traffic departments really do not have a clue when it comes to traffic management. But of course they've done their job, spent our money on some new signs, who cares if it has any effect on road safety.
John C

Postby ozzzie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:55 pm

j'ogler wrote:I have consulted my fount of knowledge on these matters (SWMBO).

DFT guidance to LAs

PDF with more detail

Statutory Instrument
Oz.
Site Admin

Warning: Postings may contain traces of irony or sarcasm.
ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby John C » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:59 pm

Thanks Oz, didn't track down this one-

20 mph speed limits require terminal signs and repeater signs to diagram 670 (TSRGD). Terminal signs, to diagram 670, on trunk and principal roads within 50m of a street lamp must be illuminated. The terminal signs should be placed on both sides of the carriageway to form a gateway. Additional emphasis at the start of the speed limit can be provided by yellow backing boards. Where a limit starts near to a junction, great care must be taken in siting the signs to ensure that they are clearly visible to turning traffic. Advice on the spacing of repeater signs for 20 mph speed limits is given in Traffic Advisory Leaflet 1/95.

The signs in St George are for a speed limit, not zone, so as I thought are not correctly installed and therefore presumably unenforceable.

I also seem to remember reading somewhere that 20mph speed limits are not actually enforceable by the police, or maybe it was that most forces would not actually bother trying - can't remember where I saw or heard it !!
John C

Return to Advanced Riding Issues