Dubious IAM statement on bike safety

General discussion of any issues that vaguely or not so vaguely relate to stuff about things that concern riding.

Moderator: BAM Moderators

Re: Dubious IAM statement on bike safety

Postby ozzzie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:01 pm

WALT statement

We didn't do any Walt Disney though.
Oz.
Site Admin

Warning: Postings may contain traces of irony or sarcasm.
ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby Horse » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:28 pm

ozzzie wrote:
Horse wrote:Not my wisdom – anyone who’s been to visit their kid’s school (particularly Junior/Infants) over the last decade and been in a classroom is likely to have had the opportunity to see a WALT statement (We Are Learning To) and possibly success criteria displayed as a constant prompt of what the lesson is about.

And out of a classroom as well. It was a much repeated theme in the OU degree that I finished about 5 years ago.

As I said, I heard about it over a decade ago.
I assert my author rights: Copyright Design Patent Act 1988 may be quoted in Chain Link posts, but contacted for written consent before any other use/storage/transmission/recording

Argue with me: http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com
Horse

Postby ozzzie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:36 pm

Horse wrote:As I said, I heard about it over a decade ago.

I started the degree about 6 years before that (doing it alongside a job) and they were using that approach from the start, so that's at least 11 years, actually probably 12. :)
Oz.
Site Admin

ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:32 am

ozzzie wrote:
Horse wrote: As I said, I heard about it over a decade ago.

I started the degree about 6 years before that (doing it alongside a job) and they were using that approach from the start, so that's at least 11 years, actually probably 12. :)

I didn't realise it was a competition :lol:

However, the serious answer is that it was based on the 'Black Box' research, for eaxample this published in 1999:

http://arrts.gtcni.org.uk/gtcni/bitstre ... %20Box.pdf

Which neatly refers toTim's challenge:

wunwinglow wrote:I look forward to the statistical analysis proving the point.

The evidence from research on a review of research on assessment and classroom learning, commissioned by the group authoring this paper and funded by The Nuffield Foundation, Professors Paul Black and Dylan Wiliam synthesised evidence from over 250 studies linking assessment and learning.

The outcome was a clear and incontrovertible message: that initiatives designed to enhance effectiveness of the way assessment is used in the classroom to promote learning can raise pupil achievement. The scale of the effect would be the equivalent of between one and two grades at GCSE for an individual.

For England as a whole, Black and Wiliam estimate that its position in respect of mathematical attainment would have been raised in the recent Third International Mathematics and Science Study from the middle of the 41 countries involved to being one of the top five. They also found evidence that the gain was likely to be even more substantial for lower-achieving pupils.

The research indicates that improving learning through assessment depends on five, deceptively simple, key factors:
• the provision of effective feedback to pupils;
the active involvement of pupils in their own learning;
• adjusting teaching to take account of the results of assessment;
• a recognition of the profound influence assessment has on the motivation and self-esteem of pupils, both of which are crucial influences on learning;
• the need for pupils to be able to assess themselves and understand how to improve.

At the same time, several inhibiting factors were identified. Among these are:
• a tendency for teachers to assess quantity of work and presentation rather than the quality of learning;
• greater attention given to marking and grading, much of it tending to lower the self-esteem of pupils, rather than to providing advice for improvement;
• a strong emphasis on comparing pupils with each other which demoralises the less successful learners;
• teachers’ feedback to pupils often serves social and managerial purposes rather than helping them to learn more effectively;
• teachers not knowing enough about their pupils’ learning needs.
I assert my author rights: Copyright Design Patent Act 1988 may be quoted in Chain Link posts, but contacted for written consent before any other use/storage/transmission/recording

Horse

Postby ozzzie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 am

Horse wrote:
ozzzie wrote:
Horse wrote: As I said, I heard about it over a decade ago.

I didn't realise it was a competition :lol:

That's how your last reply came across (to me), hence the response. :)
Oz.
Site Admin

ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:08 pm

ozzzie wrote:
Horse wrote: I didn't realise it was a competition :lol:

That's how your last reply came across (to me), hence the response. :)

No, just trying to emphasise that this - as you've taken even further - is nothing new or to be scared of :) Just good teaching.

But, hey-ho, I don't seem to realise when you're making jokes :-0 :oops: , so shall we call it quits? 8)

Horse

Postby DucJohn » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:56 pm

ozzzie wrote:Most of the members are solely readers rather than posters.

This is true. Note the number of views. I have been following the debate with interest, but I am not qualified to add anything to it.

Incidentally, am I not due some sort of lavish award for starting the longest thread? :)
John Cooper
DucJohn

Postby ozzzie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Horse wrote:But, hey-ho, I don't seem to realise when you're making jokes :-0 :oops: , so shall we call it quits? 8)

Assume everything I say on here is said with a smile or a wry grin.

In real life I am stern and humourless.
Oz.
Site Admin

ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby ozzzie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:01 pm

DucJohn wrote:I am not qualified to add anything to it.

Neither am I, but I don't let things like that stop me.
Oz.
Site Admin

ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:48 pm

DucJohn wrote: I have been following the debate with interest, but I am not qualified to add anything to it.

You don't have to be qualified to ask questions. There have been so many occasions is this thread when I've thought: "Why doesn't someone ask about . . . " :-?

[quote="DucJohn Incidentally, am I not due some sort of lavish award for starting the longest thread? :)[/quote]

Yes, but start a new thread to ask for suggestions for a suitable honour :)

Horse

Postby tfdodo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Horse wrote:The research indicates that improving learning through assessment depends on five, deceptively simple, key factors:
• the provision of effective feedback to pupils;
the active involvement of pupils in their own learning;
• adjusting teaching to take account of the results of assessment;
• a recognition of the profound influence assessment has on the motivation and self-esteem of pupils, both of which are crucial influences on learning;
• the need for pupils to be able to assess themselves and understand how to improve.

At the same time, several inhibiting factors were identified. Among these are:
• a tendency for teachers to assess quantity of work and presentation rather than the quality of learning;
• greater attention given to marking and grading, much of it tending to lower the self-esteem of pupils, rather than to providing advice for improvement;
• a strong emphasis on comparing pupils with each other which demoralises the less successful learners;
• teachers’ feedback to pupils often serves social and managerial purposes rather than helping them to learn more effectively;
• teachers not knowing enough about their pupils’ learning needs.

Now this I like. Condensed and simple ; straightforward to apply (not always the same as easy, but a good start ! ). ANd with some objective backup if you want to go look at it.

Heavens, we may have to start being clear with associates about what we're intending to achieve ! [gasps] :twisted:
Rubber side down,
Nick A (SO-Team B)

"In a perfect world the future wouldn't make a dent..."

Balance Safety and Joy
tfdodo

Postby ozzzie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:09 pm

tfdodo wrote:
Now this I like. Condensed and simple ; straightforward to apply (not always the same as easy, but a good start ! ). ANd with some objective backup if you want to go look at it.

Heavens, we may have to start being clear with associates about what we're intending to achieve ! [gasps] :twisted:

Where's the 'Like' button?
Oz.
Site Admin

ozzzie
Site Admin

Postby wunwinglow » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:33 pm

There you go......

Tim
Two things happen as you get older and I can't remember either of them.
wunwinglow

Postby Horse » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:43 pm

tfdodo wrote:Two lists.

Look, this is just a suggestion based on your comment about clarity, but if you start from the basis of 'what you're trying to acheive' (let's, for the sake of a better term, call it a 'Learning Intention') then find ways of knowing if you're successful, some sort of list or criteria, perhaps, then you might be on to something . . . :)
Last edited by Horse on Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:23 pm

Boing!

Just when you thought it had gone quiet in here . . . :mrgreen: :-0 :-? :oops: ;-)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 751530097X

Does an on-road motorcycle coaching program reduce crashes in novice riders? A randomised control trial

Rebecca Q. Ivers
Chika Sakas
Teresa Senserrick
Jane Elkington
Serigne LoSoufiane Boufous
Liz de Rome

Highlights
On-road motorcycle coaching was not associated with reduced risk of crash.
Coaching was associated with reduced near misses after 3 but not 12 months.
Riders in the coaching group reported more confidence, speeding behaviours and riding time.

Abstract Objectives

Motorcycle riding is increasing globally and confers a high risk of crash-related injury and death. There is community demand for investment in rider training programs but no high-quality evidence about its effectiveness in preventing crashes. This randomised trial of an on-road rider coaching program aimed to determine its effectiveness in reducing crashes in novice motorcycle riders.

Horse

Previous

Return to Advanced Riding Issues